Google has launched a new beta service: Google Docs & Spreadsheets. Here is a mini tour to get familiar with the new service. Actually it´s just the combination of Writely, the collaborative Web word processor which became part of Google as of March 2006, and Google Spreadsheets into one service. Jen Mazzon, leader of the Writely team and now senior product marketing manager at Google, describes the new service as "one place where you can create, store, share and publish your documents and spreadsheets online".
With Google Docs & Spreadsheets, you can:
- Use the online editor to format documents, spell-check and more.
- Upload Word documents, OpenOffice, RTF, HTML or text.
- Download documents to your desktop as Word, PDF and more.
- View your documents' revision history and roll back to any version.
- Invite others to share your documents by e-mail address.
- Edit documents online with whomever you choose.
- Publish documents online to the world, or to just who you choose.
- Post your documents to your blog.